- On June 4, 2021 His Holiness Pope Francis appointed the Dutch ordinary professor for canon law at the University of Erfurt (Germany) Prof. Dr. Myriam Wijlens as consultor to the Synod of Bishops. Already on March 23, 2021 Pope Francis extended her term as a member of the Pontifical Commission for the Protection of Minors, where she serves as the moderator of the Working Group "Safeguarding Guidelines and Norms". In 2008 the Pontifical Council for the Promotion of Christian Unity (PCPCU) appointed her on the Faith and Order Commission of the World Council of Churches, where since 2015 she has been serving as co-moderator of the Study Group "Churches and Moral Discernment". Because of this engagement, she was also appointed by the PCPCU as an expert to the Anglican Roman Catholic International Commission (ARCIC) in 2019.
- The Society celebrates the publication of a new volume of one of its own members, His Excellency Bishop Dimitrios Salachas, published by the Edizioni Dehoniane of Bologna (EDB). His new book is entitled, “Ecclesiologia e Normativa del Codice dei Canoni delle Chiese Orientali” [Ecclesiology and Regulations of the Code of Canons of the Eastern Churches] (Bologna 2021).
- Recently, Fr. Prof. Varghese Koluthara CMI and Fr. Prof. Lorenzo Lorusso O.P. were re-appointed by His Holiness Pope Francis as consultors to the Pontifical Council for Legislative Texts for another five year term.
- On February 16, 2021 the President Emeritus of the Society, Metropolitan Kyrillos Katerelos (formerly Bishop of Abydos), was elected by the Holy and Sacred Synod of the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople as Metropolitan of Krinis and appointed as Patriarchal Exarch of Malta at the suggestion of His All-Holiness Patriarch Bartholomew.
- On January 20, 2020, His Exc. Mgr. Cyril Vasil', SJ, Archbishop of Tolemaide of Libia, was appointed by His Holiness, Pope Francis, Apostolic Administrator sede plena of the Eparchy of Košice for the Catholics of the Byzantine rite (Slovakia). Formerly, His Excellency was Archbishop Secretary of the Congregation for the Oriental Churches in Rome.
- His Exc., Mgr. Georges Gallaro, former Vice-President of our Society and Bishop of the Eparchy of Piana degli Albanesi in Sicily, was appointed on February 25, 2020, by His Holiness Pope Francis, Secretary of the Congregation for the Oriental Churches with the personal title of Archbishop. (See the articles below in PDF format for additional information.)
- Fr. Cristian Crişan, has been elected by the Synod of the Bishops of the Greek-Catholic Romanian Major Archepiscopal Church as Auxiliary Bishop of the Archeparchy of Făgăraş and Alba Iulia (Romania) conceding him the titular see of Abula. Formerly, Fr. Crişan was parish priest of the parish of St. Georges in Paris and Rector of the Mission for the Greek Catholics of Romania in France. Since April 2018, he has been the Apostolic Visitator for the Romanian Greek Catholics in Western Europe.